Monday 12 January 2009

The No Diet diet? God, when will it end?


With much fanfare, The Daily Mail today announced the launch of yet another celebrity diet guru. Today, it's the turn of US dietician, Esther Blum, to be in the spotlight with her book, Eat, Drink and Be Gorgeous.
Esther's philosophy (no, hold your breath, you won't have heard of this before) is that self denial is bad and that we should eat chocolate, butter and even sip the occasional cocktail for while we've been told this is naughty food, it is infact the opposite.
Dark chocolate for instance contains ingredients that make the body release feel good chemicals (no kidding, Einstein!) as well as theobromine and anandamide which boost circulation. Butter, meanwhile enhances the immune system.
This is all well and good, but the very fact that her diet is endorsed by celebrities Sarah Jessica Parker, Sharon Stone and Teri Hatcher says it all. These celebrities are pretzel-thin - and look about as brittle. They NEED to eat some of these foods.
But there's a difference between nutritionally healthy food (I have no truck with the nutritional claims that Esther makes) and food that's 'good' for you when you're trying to lose a stone or more in weight. And I should know.
I've lost count of the times my personal training clients have said to me, 'But I eat really healthily - I have organic cheese, olive oil, dark chocolate and raw nuts but I'm not losing any weight.'
To most people with a real weight issue, setting up the idea that dark chocolate is nutritionally good is like giving someone the green light to eat it.
In contrast, Esther recommends eating 1oz of dark chocolate a day. Now, for the Teri Hatchers of this world, whose self control is strengthened by the job and the circles she moves in, that's all fine and good. For the rest of us...well, I know what I'm like if there's a bar of Green & Black's in my fridge...and I'm a personal trainer!

1 comment:

yacylia said...

I think you are right about these diet books and the so called "gurus". It's all about common sense when eating. Anything in excess will always be bad for you. People just have to learn that if you self indulge you will pay for it, including me. Love your blog.