Wednesday 21 January 2009

Chilli and Lime Crab Cakes



I have to admit that being a pescatarian, it can be hard to come up with low carbohydrate based meals without resorting to cheese the whole time. And, I have been aware for some time (and someone else has pointed it out too) that I use quinoa a lot.
But I'm pulling out all the stops to be more imaginative for the last week of this month on this eating plan.
My aim was to lose half a stone - I haven't been on the scales yet but hmm, not sure I've done it. There's been a few cocktails in Soho House, a cake at Sanctuary Cafe in Brighton, the gorgeous fresh piece of foccacia from the new Italian on Wardour Street...er, I won't go on, you get the drift.
Still, if you're on a diet and you feel like you've fallen off the diet wagon, don't just give up. Sticking to it even 70% of the time is better than not at all.

Ingredients
1 tin of white crab meat
1/3 hot red chilli
1 tbsp low fat greek yoghurt
1 tsp horseradish
1/4 fresh lime juice
Handful of fresh chopped coriander
Beaten egg
cup of cooked quinoa (I know, it's reared it's head again - if you're not on a low carb diet though, you can use breadcrumbs, couscous or even millet).

Combine the crab, chilli, yoghurt, horseradish, lime and coriander in a bowl. Using your hands, make into small patties and leave to chill in a fridge (they can be quite soggy but should hold well in the pan). Dip in the beaten egg, roll in the quinoa and then shallow fry in a small bit of olive oil. Turn until browned and serve. This is also delicious with a few slices of apple - honestly!

No comments: